Best Weekend So Far This Year

The family back at home have been planning to do a Tahlil and Doa Arwah, Doa Tolak Bala and Doa Selamat. (Prayers who have pass on, and prayers for longevity, etc). And my mum decided to do it this weekend before the Ramadhan months starts. We usually do this function during the Ramadhan month, whilst breaking fast as well. But my mum doesn't think she can manage all that during the Ramadhan month.

About a week in advance my youngest sister had already booked all three of us (me and two big brothers) to do some house-keeping and do tidying up at home before the Sunday function, I worked on Fridays, so my eldest brother went alone, my elder brother and I came on Saturday
and did we worked our ass off. My mum gave us instructions and we did it without any much questions only that we did more than she asked for. I was responsible to cut a branch of a tibadak/cempedak (jackfruit) tree. Because my mum's huge lime tree had recently fallen due to strong winds. and to straighten it up again, part of the branch (but more like a big trunk) had to be cut away. The tree was bearing lots of fruits, and just by looking at it, there were about more than 80 jackfruits hanging on the branch and tree trunk. So like a good boy, I did what was told. But there was another tree trunk that was in the way, and my youngest sister pointed it out, that, that needs to be cut down too... I warned my sister that she will be responsible for asking to cut it down. So I was sawing that off until a loud crack, my mum was screaming at us, my mum was halved amused and halved pissed... My brother was busy demolish a chicken hut. It was so funny... We also made a huge bonfire, my mum was screaming her head off, because next to the fire was her chilly plant.

The thing with my mum and her 'garden' is that she had no planning ahead, she just plant everywhere she felt like it. So her 'garden' looks very much unorganised. Some of the plants she planted years ago which by now are big full grown trees are standing next to the house and the branches reaches windows and roofs. The have been many occasion where monkeys from the nearby jungle came to the house using the branches to climb in. And at one time, a phyton snake were found near by the window.

When I was sawing off the second branch which we were not supposed to, my feet and legs were bitten by hundred's of mosquitoes and 'pikat' ('pikat' are houseflies size bugs that suck blood and boy do they sting and itch... My leg is still itching and it will take a few days to heal... then the second branch that I was cutting fell on my right arm, and now my arm has gone blue and black, there were so many pushing, pulling, lifting, sweeping, brushing, you name it we did it... It was fun. Despite the injuries.

On Sunday itself, my elder brother and I came early before the occasion to finish up the job from the previous day, and my mum gave us more things to do, and that was done in record time, we cleared the drains, and not long after that, guest started to arrive, we went to clean ourselves up. What's different this time, my mum seemed glad, she did not scream and shout at her grandchildren, she looked very very happy, I feel glad about it, I suppose, it was not that often that all her children came round the house to help her. Usually she will be all stressed out, instructing us, instructing my nieces and nephews to do chores that needs doing, she will be screaming her way as she entertain guests at the same time... But not this time. My dad was also very happy. I guess, that was the best weekend so far, spending time with my family. This is something I will remember for a very long time.

On my personal note, things are looking up for me and my other half. Understanding and sharing seemed to be the main theme at the moment. It's good, it's all good, surprisingly.

Until then...


Post Edit: Pikat are known as horse or deer flies... and they bite! Please click here and here for more info.


Comments

Anonymous said…
No doubt 30 years later your kids will do the same sacrifice as you did now. its an investment that will payback in years to come.

Popular posts from this blog

Random Rant, Update?

Happy Birthday to Me

Tolerances and Compromises