Dead End

First of all, all my sympathies and prayers to those who have passed away on road accidents this year. I couldn't believe what is going on with our Brunei, it's like they never learn.

I came to write about this, when I heard about college student who was attached at a civil works with the government passed away, after colliding with the end tail of a truck. It was reported in this week's Borneo Bulletin (Brunei English Newspaper). It was not actually the talk of the town, but rather a conversation piece, full of sadness and sympathy. He seem like he and his family had touch a lot of people's life. A lot of people know him, my friends and colleagues. And everybody was sad that he has passed away. I personally don't know him, but I feel also feel the sadness and a little of grief that everyone felt for him and his family.

I own a motorcycle too, so I know what dangers that can pose to a motorcyclist, that is why I don't ride much. (Rather thinking of selling it.) But than again, it was not the motorbike that killed him. Not the truck either. It's more because of our behaviour. Tonight my friend and I talked about errant drivers. He was almost screaming to see a near missed happened at the infamous Jame' Asr Roundabout. It still seems that no one knows how to use it. I corrected him. Everybody knows how to use it, but ignore the rules. Bruneians generally think, rules and regulations are suppose to make things difficult. Bruneians don't like rules. They like to do the shortcut way, the easy way, the only way they know. Maybe it's only human nature to do that, but maybe most likely, again, arrogance play into part.

Another collision that I heard and read about was an 16 year old who lost his life colliding with another vehicle and which lost a mother. What are you going to do? What are we going to do? What went wrong?

Signalling or indicating 2 to 3 seconds before entering in or pulling out from a junction does not give you the right of way. Pulling out from a lane to enter the right lane (to overtake) does not give you the power to pull out regardless if there is a speeding car next to it. It does not entitle you anything. Your signal lights ARE NOT instrument to show your right of way. It is only an indicator. This is something we all fail to understand. It does not give you right of way. It's everybody's right of way.

Arrogance and ignorance. Something that comes hand-in-hand in most drivers in Brunei. It does not matter what other commuters, drivers, motocyclist, pedestrians think or preseve, only theirs that matters. Jalan ku jua tu!

The saddest part of all of these deaths on our roads is not entirely just because that lives were lost from their family, relatives and friends, but the saddest part of it, is that they could have been avoided. The lost lives, could have been walking next to their family and friends right now. But because we are so consumed by our own greed, needs, arrogance and ignorance, someone's brother, sister, mother, father, son or daughters is not coming back home anymore. It's all your fault, my fault, everyone's fault. I just wish that everyone can see the big picture here. Our attitudes and our behaviour is the contributor of deaths us drivers.

Again, I say my prayers to those who had passed away. Al-fatihah.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Rant, Update?

Happy Birthday to Me

Tolerances and Compromises