Brunei Guide

I have been thinking about time.  And we know we only have about over a month until 2009. 

And we all know what 2009 signifies?  Or have we forgotten?  It will be Visit Brunei 2009.  And I don't see much preparation going on in Brunei in place for Visit Brunei Year.  So I was thinking, to set up a group of people who volunteer on their time to bring visitors and show them personally "the Bruneian Life".  It is one thing to follow a tour but bringing a tourist and show them what we personally know about Brunei.  

And basically, each guide is an ambassador for Brunei and we show them anywhere and everywhere.  And of course, if you're doing this voluntarily, it means tourist do not need to pay the guide, perhaps they pay for the fuel.  And all bills (e.g. food bills, purchases) should be paid by the tourist themselves.  It is like having that Asean Youth ship (Nippon Maru) theme going on.  A tourist comes up to a Bruneian guide and we just bring them to places of interest that we know, and not all Bruneian have the same places of interest right?...  The tourist is experiencing Brunei at a personal level.  

This came up to my mind, because I've done it before, well not really....  The story goes like this, I use to know a friend who lives in Kiulap, and every once in a while I found tourists stranded at Jame' Asr' seeking for a taxi by which all Bruneians know is almost inexistent.  So I offered them a ride to their hotel, they gave me money, but I refuse as I was doing it straight from the heart.  Some wondered why I am doing a kind thing?  What would I get out of it?  We all know how it is like to be in a foreign country right?  How awkward it can be, and how helpless it felt.  Do you want someone else to feel that way about our country?  We want to welcome people into our country, our country is different, but not weird, in a unique way, yes.  So lets show them how we do it in this country....  I have been a stranger in a strange country before and it is not a great feeling, I'm doing this out of Karma.  You help someone, and maybe if one day it happens to you, someone will help you.  

So that's my rant... leave me a comment or two on how I can make this into a reality...

Until then, C'est La Vie

Comments

Anonymous said…
Saiful, you are indeed a man of honor.
Anonymous said…
I'm not sure if I deserve that. But thank you. Thanks anonymous
Mrs Emzee said…
i absolutely lurve ur idea... dey are sm ppl whom i know doing it every now n then..n u add up to it...keep it up..Visit Brunei 2009 is coming soon... n cheer up! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Random Rant, Update?

Happy Birthday to Me

Tolerances and Compromises