I'm Off (shore) again!

No, I'm still in Bandar, hanging out at DeRoyalle Cafe at the moment, but in a few hours time, after Sahur, I will be on my way, driving an hour away to Anduki Airport waiting for my flight offshore.  The cool thing is, I wonder how many people goes to work via a chopper?  That's cool, right?  Err, no... nice try... LOL

So, reporting about my 'family' reunion.  As adviced by a couple of friends and my brother, I'd make some effort.  But before that, I finally had my nails manicured.  Oh yes, I'm one of the few guys who manicure.  I have done that for the last (almost) three years.  And it's nothing girly or gay about it.  Believe me when I say, once you start, your fingers will never feel the same.  It is like spa, for your fingers, and toes in my case.  I tried looking for a post I once wrote about the start of my manicuring activities.  To cut it short, my sister treated me to a manicure and there was no turning back.  Even I go to the extend of pluck my eyebrows too.  Okay, okay, that's undeniably gay and girly, but it makes my face and eyes looks fresh even when I'm tired as hell.  And yes, you are right.  I am VAIN.  No denying that.  Moving on...

When I arrived today at the restaurant, I booked for 15 pax and when I got there, I was the first to arrive, and it was about 5 minutes to break fast.  Typical!!!  I thought.  One thing about my family is that they are absolutely worst people when it comes to time keeping or being punctual in any event.  So I sat there, by myself, alone.  At a big table.  I looked absolutely pathetic.  What was worst, some 'friends' or better described as 'acquaintances' we sitting across at me, I felt so embarrassed.  At one little point, I was angry.  When the azan started, all of them arrived.  I thought, finally, I'm not pathetic, am I?  I was imagining having my last laugh.  But I just smiled.  

My tiny anger, became a huge wide full blown out smile, when I saw my nieces and nephews.  "Ngangah!!! (Uncle), kami naik kerita pajero!" my nephew emphasising that his dad just bought a new Mitsubshi Pajero, because my brother in law's family is fast expanding.  My food didn't went down well, I suppose I've spoiled my appetite by drinking a lot of water.  So I felt full and couldn't finish my food.  Trying my best to avoid 'family issues', my eldest brother, talked about it...  I just kept quiet, I only gave him advice to best avoid any problems and issues that the family had created.  I told him to just let it go.  He wasn't so happy with my response.  But what the heck.  I avoid my mother, she sat at the very end of the table furthest from me.  I suppose she's avoiding me too.  The fact is, I am the son who stopped caring about the family, but I didn't mind, any closer, it would be totally and utterly awkward.

So when we were about to leave, my friends' and brother's words rang in my ear...  I told myself, okay, here goes, baby steps, baby steps.  I went up to her, and salam with her, kissed her hand, and her cheeks and said "Bah, bu (short for Babu, Bruneian languange for Mother), jalan ku dulu, Selamat Hari Raya Bu ah, minta maaf, aku di laut masa Raya, lapan haribulan baru ku balik.  Ada ku ke rumah tu nanti". (Translation:  "Okay mum, I'm off now, Selamat Hari Raya, and forgive me, I will be offshore during Raya (Eid), I will be back on the Eighth.  And I will come home next time").  She only said "Bah". (That's Bruneian language for Okay).  

And she smiled.  My sister smiled, I knew from the corner of my eyes that she was shocked that I went up to my mum.  My youngest sister told me "Ke rumah nanti ah".  ("Come home, next time, okay").  Finally, the words that I waited for the last three years.  Ever since my feud with my family, none of them had asked me to come home.  None.  And finally, I'm much happy to hear that.  I know, I don't need to be invited back home.  But them not asking me to come back home, is their way of not caring for me.  It's complicated.  I couldn't tell you what happened, as good or bad, and at times, how much heartache I felt, it will be like spitting to the sky.  In the end, it'll be coming back down on my face.  So I'm not as much reluctant to come back home.  Then again... baby steps, baby step, I'm not jumping this cliff just yet.

I did my remaining errands, there was a lot of things need to be done and buy, before going offshore again.  Which is soon.  I received a call, that my flight will be made earlier than scheduled.  So that is why, I'm still here hanging out, because if I sleep now, I'll definitely miss my flight.  So for the next ten days, I'll be offshore.  Hari Raya offshore.  Depressing, but I'm looking forward it.  To tell you the truth, not since my family reunion, but since quite a while now, that secretly, I'm looking forward for Hari Raya this year.  I don't know why.  Go figure.  So, I don't know what else to say, until then, take care, be safe, be kind, happy fasting and Adios...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Rant, Update?

Happy Birthday to Me

Tolerances and Compromises