Happy Silver Jubilee Brunei

I was almost six.  I remembered it although vaguely.  I watched it on TV with my family, and that particular night, everyone in my family slept late.  I remember this event well, because it was late, my parents didn't mind that we were still up, there were people outside like it was not midnight.  That day was the New Year of 1984.  

I wondered why 23rd February was picked as the Brunei's National Day, the answer is that it coincides with the Late Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien, His Majesty's Father, the 28th Sultan of Brunei.  I guess, this is the time when people are now proud to be Bruneians, for the country itself.  But then somewhere along the line, patriotism is lost.  People start to be selfish and ignorant.  It's human nature, it's no one's fault.  I guess, everyday routine can consume someone into their somewhat narrow minded world.  Don't we just wish that this 'togetherness' that we are embracing kept on burning in our hearts every single day of our lives? 

Without getting political about it and maybe it is just a worthless opinion of mine, but...  Brunei can be greater, bigger, wealthier, bolder, stronger and could play a significant role in the Asia region.  But why isn't it?  Well, I guess no one can finger point what is wrong.  Remember the SHuTT programmed launched in the 90's.  I still think Brunei is still not a hub for anything major yet.  I am very proud to be a Bruneian, and I like to think that I am doing my job for the sake of the nation, to feed the country with the main rice bowl.  I am also a pro-Bruneian, I stand for the nation's identity and I would love Brunei to open it's doors in the tourism world.  

But before we do that, there is an underlying problem in itself, with respect to tourism, that is.  The people living in it.  e.g. How do you expect tourist to know Brunei, if the first impression of Kuala Belati is that it is too far...  Or even so, we know every shopping streets (however hidden) in Singapore, KL, Sarawak and Sabah but not road that leads to our own countryside.  Perhaps I'm pessimistic about my own fellow Bruneians, and I do seek apology if I had offended anyone.  I am only saying this in general, so not everyone is like what I have just mentioned.  But I suppose, some would have agreed to a certain degree to what I have just written.  

I guess, all I am trying to say is, we are easily cocooned by our own comforts, and the consequence of that, we are prone to a narrow mindset.  Most Bruneians are capable of going outside the country and see the beauty other countries have.  We are kept in envy and wonderment why foreigners can do what they do, and we belittle our own country because we don't have them.  Many of us, inclusive of myself often ask, what the country can do for us, instead of asking what we can do for the country.  

We have a lot of shaping up to do with this country and you and myself, are the main generators and shapers of this country in the near future...  So I hope what I have written will not dampen our spirits.  And I am sure as well, that my Bruneian readers are feeling mighty proud right now for the achievements that we have made.  So I wish you all, A Happy Silver Jubilee to all Bruneian readers.  And I hope we will still be around for the next 25 years.  Happy National Day!  

On a personal note, I have a couple of hours for home bound.  Until then, take care, Happy National Day, take good care of yourself and Ciao!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Rant, Update?

Happy Birthday to Me

Tolerances and Compromises