Offshore life

I just came back after going for late dinner, because I had some food reserved for me after my run.  I don't want to run with food in my stomach as it could get a little stuffy.  Worst case scenario, I would vomit on the treadmill.  So I usually asked the kitchen if they could keep my food warm.

I'm very frustrated with my run.  I'm getting tired easily and getting slower.  Today was a measly 10.2 kms in 76 minutes.  I had to walk for the last kilometer.  Because I was really exhausted.  So anyway, after I had my dinner, I accompany a colleague to the smoking room as he asked for a favour tomorrow, to go on a site visit in the morning, and discussed about what we'll be going through tomorrow, and what we want to achieve by the end of tomorrow.  It's quite a huge scope so it will keep me busy at least until noon.

My QA/QC Senior Inspector, Jet Taji came into the smoking room, and he had a smile, because he knew what I am going to say.  He had be suffering all these while.  During his first few days, he shared a room with 3 other men.  And one guy in that room had chronic apnea.  He snored so loud that the other men and him could not sleep at all.  Then a few days of enduring that, he got a really nice room which can only accomodate 2 men but sharing toilets and showers with the adjacent room which happens to be our room.  It was really cool that he's close by.  BUT...  the guy he shares with is an Indian national, with seriously body odour problem.  Okay, firstly, I'm not racist.  But most Indian nationals have a distinct smell, which in general is consider unpleasant.  But in all seriousness, this Indian guy has a really disgusting body odour.  I would not even stand in his room for even 5 seconds.  The smell is so musky and disgusting, that I swear, it makes the odour of a rotting carcass smell much better.  And the way our Jet was describe it, was so hilarious.  He was talking to us, and some other smokers were listening in.  And boy, the laughter from that smoking room was loud, and almost everyone was in tears in laughter...  It was so funny...

And today, this morning at exactly 5a.m, Jet woke up.  And he turned on his bed lights on top of his head and sat on his bed for a while.  His indian roommate who was sleeping on top of the bunk bed came down only with his sarong on.  As he descended down, his sarong fell off, and he was on 'commando' mode.  He looked on his left.  And he found the guy climbing down the ladder naked with his sarong on the floor.  He told us, it already spoilt his day, the first sight of his day was to see an indian man's genitals by his face...  The room was full of laughter as we heard his story...  The indian could not pull his sarong as his hands were both on the ladder, as he descend down...  We were in tears, it was so funny.  Jet even had to excuse himself to wipe his tears of laughter...  Someone joked that was most likely not tears of laughter, but real tears for having to see a naked indian the first thing in the morning...  The room roared with laughter again...  As I went back to my room, with Jet just behind me, we were still giggling ...

Fortunately, he is leaving us tomorrow to move to the big barge.  Jet, although I have known him for a week, he has been a really good member of our team and a really good friend.  And a joker.  I will never forget him...  He is absolutely hilarious...  So anyway, that was just a little 'freakish' window to our life here.  

The first thing most people ask me, when I tell them I work offshore, is that "wouldn't it be boring?" or "won't you get bored?"  The answer will be no.  There are ups and downs here, as work goes, but after work, it's like living in a hostel and everybody are your mates.  And you know, what happens when groups of guys hang out...  It's hardly boring.  So no, I'm not bored here, but that doesn't exempt me from missing my life onshore.  Which I do miss it.  But sometimes, moment like this, makes life a little brighter and much more bearable.  As I for me, whatever the place or situation I am into, I always make the best of it.  It's a choice we make...  Like a friend once said to me, "Boredom, boring, bored.... it's only a state of mind", thus we can change it if we like....  

Anyway, until then, take care, be safe and Adios...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Rant, Update?

Happy Birthday to Me

Tolerances and Compromises