I am not a Criminal

After reading Brunei Life style's blog, about the aftermath and side effect of the newly revised Tobacco Act.  I'd like to have my say about it too.  

First and foremost, on a personal note, I'm thinking and on a pursuit to cut down smoking and hopefully quitting in the future, purely because I am determined to run two half marathons by the end of this year.  And not because of the harsh Tobacco Act.

Having clear about that and setting that aside, there has been some joys celebrated amongst non-smokers, so let me rant a little to you the disappointment among the smokers.

I am a decent citizen, a typical law abiding citizen, a responsible member of the community, I am a pro-Bruneian National just as the other man.  Not more, not less.  But to enjoy something that, yes, is harmful to ourselves and others, when done irresponsibly, makes us criminals, is beyond my comprehension.  With this in mind, I speak for myself, not letting me smoke in public (under the blue sky by our self or among ourselves, that is) is a now considered a criminal act, by definition of a fine.  That's unfair.

I understand the objectives of the Tobacco Act.  I don't doubt it for a second, but to not even let us smoke in public designated areas where we can smoke responsibly, that's a tad too much for me to take in.  Yeah, increase the price why don't you?  Tax it!  Higher!  At least we know that with that money we spend on tobacco will be used to pay our own medical bills to the government.  But to not let us smoke anywhere in public responsibly makes me think that we're not treated fairly.  As citizens, that is.

I'm not justifying the hazards of smoking.  That is clear and understood.  I'm not even going to bother to argue about that.  But to each, their own poison, right?   I understand the intentions of this act, to educate the younger generations that smoking is not cool, to reduce or hide bad role models or habits.  That's okay.  I totally understand that.  But remember a few post ago (couldn't be bothered to link it), I wrote about smoking community.  It is a community, of course, under the influence of nicotine.  It relaxes us, yes, I know we don't need nicotine to relax.  There's plenty of other ways.  Nevertheless a community.  People.  Like you and me.

The point here is not to argue about the Tobacco Act, not about hazards of tobacco, not about passive smokers, nothing like that.  It's about freedom to do something of our own choice, where we can smoke responsibly, without harm to others, without influencing the community in a negative way...  To treat us fairly as citizen, to not treat us like a freaking drug addict, a criminal.  I personally feel disgraced, humiliated.  But I know, you would say it is my choice when I chose to keep smoking.  I know I'm trying to put out a point which makes me feel and look worse, but try standing in our shoes, see your friends or family (who smokes), see them being a criminal...  I suppose us smokers are the bad batch of fruits in your perfect basket world... which exist only in a non-smokers imagination.  Sigh!  It's depressing.  And you know what smoker does when he/she's depressed?  Leave it up to you to answer...

Until then, this criminal is signing off...  Adios...

Comments

Anonymous said…
i don't care what you do to yourself by smoking, but when you smoke in a pulic area and I have to inhale your tobacco smoke, then it is criminal.. Your unthoughtfulness results in reducing my health
Anonymous said…
True, I agree with what you are saying, but as my post have emphasise, smoking where smoking is allowed. We're all losing the point here. Say if I smoke alone, under the big blue sky, no one anywhere close to me, but in public, am I still a criminal?

What I am trying to say here is, yes, I do get the point of passive smoking, and I am a very tolerant, responsible and considerate person and a smoker. I don't smoke in a vicinity of non-smoker as I have emphasise in this blog, I actually took the initiative to walk away even in a smoking area when children and people are around. Yes, I don't care about my health, but I do care about my surroundings. Not all smokers are like me, I suppose, but there are smokers that smokes alike my attitude, e.g. my friends.

So the point is, give us a place to smoke. A place where only smokers can smoke, no passive smoking taking place. That's my whole point. But the ban, do not even let us smoke in our own home. That is unfair.

You are absolutely wrong when you say I am unthoughtful. I suppose you don't know me, thus you easily came to that conclusion. I suppose also you did not read my blog post thoroughly to understand the whole point of it. But that is understandable for a non-smoker.

Popular posts from this blog

Random Rant, Update?

Happy Birthday to Me

Tolerances and Compromises