Survived the Day

Plenty of emails going round and round. And finally, its COB. Netball is next. But contemplating now, it's freaking hot outside. Biting hot! Got my brother-in-law's car back from the workshop, all spick and span, all glittery... The ride sounds smoother, the interior is buffed clean. I love the smell of polish...

And *KACHINGGGG!* $310 out of the window... Well, nothing is for free, right? I suppose for a peace of mind, by maintaining the car, it will provide security for my hourly daily journey.

Speaking of cars and journey, I have been meaning to write something about commuting, tips that might come in handy if you are about to join the commuters community. Waking up early is essential. And if you're like me, who always wakes up relatively early or really late, one thing that one should bear always in mind. Don't rush! No matter what. It's useless to rush, want to know why? You're already late. And no, we couldn't catch time. That is the first rule: Don't ever rush. Face reality. Face the fact. You're already late, and you can't out run time.

Secondly, ensure your car is fit for purpose. You know what the checklists are , I don't need to run you through it. Besides, this requires planning in advance (the day before, perhaps) anyway. But it's good to double check, signals lights and brake lights are essential.

Thirdly, plan your route, stick to the usual route which you are familiar with. When I say this, also take into consideration of time. What I mean by this is, rush hour time period. You might have the shortest route. But not the fastest. But it all depends on your preference. Long journey, shorter time or vice versa. Remember, you still can't out run time.

Forth, anticipate and be vigilant. When I had my accident, I anticipated and I was vigilant about the car in front of me. But the inevitable still happen. But that doesn't mean you don't need to. You're a careful driver, I believe you, but how about other drivers? Can you say the same? To be vigilant, takes a lot of your energy. Yes, it's not easy to commute, isn't it?

Fifth, know your road. Not the route. The road itself. Know the potholes, dips, faults and what-not. Our roads are not entirely smooth. That's a different story, but we all have to live with it. This will help your your car from wearing and tearing quickly. Thus, lowering your maintenance fee.

Sixth. The Two Second Rule. What is the two second rule? It is the distance between your car and the car in front. This rule replaces the 1 car apart for every 10km/h you drive. How do you estimate a car or two or three? Our imagination can differ from one another. So use the two second rule. One one thousand, two one thousand... or use Mississippi instead... up to you. Use anything by the side of the road, or on the road, the dotted long lines in the middle of the road as an estimate. After they pass that point of reference, you should be at least passing that same point two seconds later. The faster the car in front of you, the greater the distance. Believe me, it saves my life plenty of times.

Seventh. If you're travelling at the single carriage, two way road along Telisai - Lumut area. No matter, if you own a Bugatti, Ferrari or a freaking F1 car. Don't bother overtaking. Live with it. Unless you are absolutely and definitely sure there are no on-coming cars. Why? You're endangering your life. You're endangering other people, drivers, passengers. So just chill. Take it with a pinch of salt. Put your windows down, push your stereo up, and sing like mad like I do. This is especially true during rush hours 6-8 am and 4-6 pm. Just chill and go with the flow. Over taking a truck is okay, perhaps a car. But 20 cars on parade. You've got to be kidding. You're only pissing people off. Just be considerate and be patient. Besides, if you're coming from KB back to the city and you did a stunt to overtake other cars. Believe me, we will meet you at the traffic light in Tutong. So what's the point? Sure, you'll be fast in the highway after that. But we caught up with you in the end after all your stunt? You're only wasting your fuel and wearing and tearing your car faster. Again, just chill.

Eighth. Relax. Don't stress. You're only damaging yourself. Enjoy your drive. If you're late, call up whoever is waiting for you. I'm sure they're okay waiting for you rather than waiting for you in the hospital. I'm so sure on that. Just chill, just relax. Enjoy your view. Yeah, probably you see it everyday, but every now and again, there's always new things to see. Like me, I love to watch other commuters, especially the cute and hot ones - LOL. You can also play a game by yourself, add the number plates and divide them by five and call out the remaining number e.g. 3+4+5+6 = 18/5 remaining number is 3! It's quite addictive, especially if you have a passenger with you... Who will get the most and fastest calls wins... The prizes, well, up to you guys to agree beforehand... I'm not going to sponsor you, of course!

Ninth. If you're tired, but you still need to get there, use COR. This is a method I learn and taught myself through my years commuting. COR is Car of Reference. Using the same two second rule, I had my eyes fixed on the three brake lights in front of me. The third brake lights helps you to see further in front of the car in front of you. Making sense? So anyway, I keep my distance away from them and if they brake, I brake. I just follow the car no matter what the speed is (usually relatively slow). Just be vigilant of the brake lights whilst keeping your distance. And the rest of the world can just pass by you. You don't need to concentrate or take note of them. Just keep you tired mind to what is important. So that's it, my tips to commute.

Oh, it's nearly 6 pm, should be going now... Until then, hope my tips helps. Adios Amigos!

Post edit:

Tenth:  Know you car's capability.  I'm not saying that if you car is not a sports car, that the capability is less than another.  It's all the same, but you have to rely on you car when you overtake.  Similarly, a diesel car would accelerate slower than a petrol car.  So know your car's capability...  Then you'd have a confidence in what you are doing.  That is not to cause any problems to other road user and most important of all, yourself...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Rant, Update?

Happy Birthday to Me

Tolerances and Compromises